Saturday, October 23, 2010
Friday, October 22, 2010
Thursday, October 21, 2010
Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Tuesday, October 19, 2010
Monday, October 18, 2010
Sunday, October 17, 2010
Saturday, October 16, 2010
Friday, October 15, 2010
Thursday, October 14, 2010
For each dhokla family, look up the model recipes below for detailed instructions and pictures.
8. Soaked, dried and ground cereal(s) + lentil(s) flour : E.g Rice + Urad dal Dhokla
9. Roast and ground cereal(s) + lentil(s) E.g Rice + Urad dal Dhokla ( See Dhokla #2)
Wednesday, October 13, 2010
Tuesday, October 12, 2010
Monday, October 11, 2010
Monday, October 04, 2010
Friday, October 01, 2010
Due to Tanjore becoming the heartland of Tamil Brahmins, almost all its famous recipes are Brahmin recipes, with an almost total absence of Non vegetarian recipes.
Deep fried & spiced tuvar dal / chana dal paste becomes Vada. Steamed and crumbled, it becomes the Usili. In fact you can use leftover / store bought masal vadas, in this recipe in place of the steamed lentil paste and not many would spot the difference !
While researching for this book, I was engrossed in the bloody Muslim occupation of Madurai and Tanjore. Tamilnadu had been fortunate in escaping the massacares, temple razings and looting which plagued North India between 1000 and 1200 AD. Its luck ran out in 1311 when it experienced the brief but brutal Sultan occupation. . One of the sultans, Ghiyas-ud-Din Muhammad Damghani seems to have been especially brutal.
Ibn Batuta, the great Islamic traveller records: “…the Hindu prisoners were divided into four sections and taken to each of the four gates. There, on the stakes they had carried, the prisoners were impaled. Afterwards their wives were killed and tied by their hair to these poles. Children were massacred on the bosoms of their mothers. Then, the camp was raised, and they started cutting down the trees of another forest (for more impaling stakes). This is shameful conduct such as I have not known any other sovereign guilty of. It is for this that God hastened the death of Ghiyath-eddin”.
And “I was another time with the Sultan when a Hindu was brought into his presence. I rose hurriedly (to leave). He understood my reason, smiled, and ordered the hands and feet of the idolater to be cut off. On my return I found the unfortunate swimming in his blood”.
Food Consultancy / Licensing / Crash Courses
Customised one page cookbooks now available for pressure cooker / microwave / mixie / masala & other cooking product manufacturers. Replace bulky recipe books with easy to refer One page cookbooks and watch your sales soar !
- ► 2011 (59)
- Muthia Cheatsheet ( Gujarathi Steamed Dumplings)
- 10 Easy Israeli Recipes
- Easy Jam Cheatsheet
- Hummus Cheatsheet ( Middle east's favourite dip)
- Granita Cheatsheet ( Frozen Italian Dessert)
- Instant Sorbet Cheatsheet ( Frozen dessert)
- Instant Ice Cream Cheatsheet
- Fool Cheatsheet ( British Dessert)
- Chammanthi Cheatsheet ( Kerala Chutney )
- 10 Major Gujarathi Dhokla/ Handvo families
- Panacotta ( Italian Dessert) Cheatsheet
- 10 Chickpea based Indian Curries
- 10 fun ways to get drunk !
- Trifle Cheatsheet ( No Cook British Dessert)
- 10 Chickpea based Indian Breakfast recipes
- 10 Raw Meat recipes from across the world
- 10 Tanjore Curries
- ▼ October (17)
- ► 2009 (157)
- ► 2008 (135)
Cooking is fun - Duplication is a pain !
- Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
- Okay, let me start from the very beginning. 1500 crore years ago, with a Big Bang, the Universe is born. It expands dramatically. Hydrogen forms, contracts under gravity and lights up, forming stars. Some stars explode, dusting space with the building blocks of life. These condense into planets, one of which is Earth. Over time, self replicating molecules appear, multiply and become more complex. They create elaborate survival machines (cells, plants, animals). A variety of lifeforms evolve. Soon, humans arise, discover fire, invent language, agriculture and religion. Civilisations rise and fall. Alexander marches into India. Moguls establish an empire. Britain follows. Independence. Partition. Bloodshed. The license raj is in full sway. I'm born. India struggles to find its place. Liberalisation. The Internet arrives! I move from Tirupur to Chennai. Start a company. Expand into Malaysia, Singapore and the Middle East. Poof! Dot com bust. Funding dries up. Struggle. Retire. Discover the joy of cooking, giving, friendships and the pleasures of a simple life. Life seems less complicated. Pizza Republic, Pita Bite and Bhojan Express bloom !
Looking for Treatment?
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.